Pages

Thursday, September 27, 2007

Not with a Bang but with a Whimper

The next sitcom I downloaded was The Big Bang Theory on CBS. This show is created by the dude behind Two and a Half Men as well as Dharma and Greg. I was surprised to find the pilot was directed by the same cat who directed the pilot for Back to You, making for a heavy James Burrows slant to Now that's Comedy. In brief: TBBT throws two nerdy geniuses into social interaction with (you guessed it!) a generic hotty from across the hall. I went into this show with low expectations as I saw it metacritiqued in the yellow. And after watching the pilot I do agree with this consensus but I will admit, however, that this show has a lot going for it (even if only potentially).

First off, this show needs to ditch it's laugh track or risk having me watch the show closed-captioned. It was honestly distracting/annoying/grating/sob-inducing. As a society I think we've moved beyond the need for laugh tracks but, as this is a sitcom, I guess it's to be expected? If we can't rid ourselves of these antiquated techniques then for god's sake at least use a live studio audience. This provides some semblance of proportioned laughs forced upon a viewer. Moving on!

The majority of jokes in TBBT are pretty obvious and really only function on a familiar level. Oh yes nerds like Star Wars, hi-larious. At one point our duo are debating interaction with the new move-in. Leonard comments on their closed circle of friends. Sheldon defends himself by saying he has 318 friends on myspace and Leonard "quips" that he does but has never met a single one. These lines led my roommate (ignorant of the show's origins) to ask "who are these guys the Dharma and Greg of nerds?" Too many jokes simply play off nerd cliches and the attempts at physics references usually come off as obvious or wikipedia-ed.

That all being said however! the dialogue in the script is actually quite well written. The manner in which Sheldon and Leonard talk is engaging and makes me wish for funnier jokes. Secondly, the acting is pretty superb. Sheldon in particular nails his wordy lines and adds plenty of sarcastic disdain sending my heart all a flutter. The characters probably flirt with familiarity but I think the acting brings them past that mostly. It's the acting that really saves this show, elevating mediocre jokes into laugh-earners!

So, I'm conflicted. Too many lame easy jokes to call TBBT good but such deftly acted and engaging characters to write off immediately. What's a boy to do? I wish perhaps they could hand the show over to some people that are willing to move beyond humour mined from library joke books, but I've learned wishing does nothing in regards to the fate of comedy shows. I really want this show to get better. I'll tune-in likely to only find heartbreak.

Ditch the damned laugh track though, yeesh.

1 comment:

Mr. A said...

I agree
Though I haven't watched TBBT I can guarantee its crap because my parents like it. They stop everything they are doing for 2 and a half men. And thats crap to the enth degree because Ducky Dales on it. Cap it off with SHEEN for godssake... Never seen an actor ruin so many great movies.
But you're right about laugh tracks. I think we've reached a point in time that we should all know when to laugh. And as a show creator if you think a laugh track belongs, your show probly isn't that funny. Maybe its just CBS's thing to do it for old folks who watch to bring back the nostalgia of their early sitcom watching middle age