Pages

Thursday, November 29, 2007

Cuff the Clark and ... George Michael

I was apparently totally screwing around at the beginning of this television season. I'll blame this miss-portunity to Clark and Michael not actually being on TV. The show is hosted online by CBS and stars Michael Cera (Arrested Development, Superbad) and Clark Duke (friend of Cera). Defining the show is a little tricky as it seems to be a documentary crew (hired by Cera and Duke) following the two as they make and attempt to sell the show they are currently filming. Obviously a mocumentary though still a snake eating its own tail. There are ten approx. ten minute episodes that comprise the entire season.

The show centers around Cera and Duke, so their interaction is critical to the success of the show. Both play oddball characters that react unpredictably and without any ounce of social awareness. There is plenty of the awkward humour Cera is so adept at playing (honestly I think he plays awkward better than any actor I've ever seen) and a copious amount of funny guest stars like David Cross, Tony Hale, and Andy Richtor. Also it's cool to see Sam Weir has grown up into quite the young man. Finally it has the best title sequence of any show I've ever seen.

The show isn't the bees-knees of comedy though, it falters more often than it succeeds in the beginning, but as the show progresses it certainly becomes quite enjoyable. My favourite is the penultimate episode and it's certainly worth a gander if you don't feel like watching the show from the start. Check it out.

Thursday Bonus Content (TBC): I had an argument with my cousin regarding Superbad a while ago. My cousin thinks Jonah Hill is going to be the next big comedy star and I unfortunately agree. Hill is capable of funny but so often resorts to bombastic cursing for his laughs, which will likely serve him quite well in his future. However, in that movie and all his other roles, Cera is able to act with such subtlety that his comedy comes not just from his lines but from his idiosyncratic mannerism. This makes his acting and comedy quite engaging for me, unlike the humorous yet relatively unchallenging fuck-yeller Hill who will no doubt be appearing in theatres near you soon enough. That being said, Juno comes out this December if I'm not mistaken.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hill may hit it big now, but my guess is that Cera will outlast him.