Pages

Saturday, November 17, 2007

Writer's Strike and my Lack of Solidarity

I've been forced to keep writing despite the WGA strike because a) I'm Canadian, b) I'm not a member of the WGA, and c) I don't expect any of my professors to take "I'm on strike" to be a valid reason for an essay not being handed in on time.

Anyways here's a relatively unfunny video from a Daily Show writer about the strike if you haven't seen it yet. (I'm so late to join the party because the internet and I are seeing other people at the moment.) Thus far I'm on the side of the writers. More reading may change my mind but currently it seems like giant corporations could survive reimbursing their writers for what goes online.



They make a good point. However, I find it odd that a lot of the writers are still blogging, especially since the hooplah (how do I know how to spell that?) is actually about online content. I guess they're only striking against writing that makes other people money.

Goodnight, and good luck.

No comments: